Mysore: Mysore, the City of Palaces, is ready to see the transformation of St. Gregorias Orthodox Syrian Church into a pilgrimage centre. Attached to Indian Orthodox Church, the church is known for housing the relics of St. Gregorias of Parumala. St. Gregorias was the first one to be declared as the saint of Malankara Orthodox Church (now St. Gregorias Orthodox Syrian Church). He died in November 1902 and was declared a saint in year 1947.
Rev Fr V C Jose Chemmanan, of St. Gregorias Orthodox Syrian Church, told reporters that members of all communities would be welcome at the church and the pilgrimage centre would surely help send the message of harmony in all communities. He even expressed his belief that the pilgrimage centre would prove to be a great destination for spiritual travelers and help boost spiritual tourism in the country.
Gregorias Orthodox Syrian Church will be declared as a pilgrimage centre, by Rev Abraham Mar Epiphanios from the diocese of Bangalore, on October 11, 2009. Amongst the many dignitaries that will grace the occasion are Bishop of Mysore Rev Thomas Antony Vazhapilly, Rev Fr Varghese Koluthara, Rev Fr Saji Thomas, Rev Fr Paul Koottala, Mysore MP H Vishwanath, Mayor Purushothama and former ministers Tanveer Sait and T John.