Jhansi Fort is not only one of the best-fortified areas in Uttar Pradesh but also one of the best fortified in India. Raja Bir Singh Deo of Orchha commissioned this fort in the early 17th century. The fort was earlier built on the top of the hillock in order to act as an army stronghold and garrison but was later modified in to residential quarters.
The fort saw lots of ups and down in the course of history. The fort
was a major stronghold during the Sepoy mutiny of 1857. The revolt in
Jhansi was led by none other than Lakshmi Bai, popularly called Jhansi
ki Rani in the chronicles of history. Just below the walls as you
approach the fort, is a bizarre blood-and-guts diorama of the battle in
which the Rani of Jhansi died. In June 1857 when the mutiny arose, a few
men of the 12th native infantry seized the fort containing the treasure
and magazine, and massacred the European officers of the garrison. The
Rani put herself at the head of the rebels. In early 1858, the combined
army of two magnificent Generals of British Arm Force named Lieutenant
Walker and General Huroze defeated Lakshmi Bai.
The British ceded the fort to the maharaja of Scindia in 1858, but
later exchanged it for Gwalior in 1866. The Fort offers excellent views
from the ramparts. Beware of the band of aggressive monkeys by the
temples here. The Karak Bijli tank is within the fort. There is also a
museum that has good collections of sculpture and provides an insight
into the history of Bundelkhand.