Emperor Jehangir got the Shalimar Garden built for his wife Nur Jahan in 1616. A second garden Faiz Baksh, (The Bountiful) was added to it later during the reign of Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan (1628-1658). Covering an area of approximately 539 m by 182 m, the Shalimar garden offers an amazing view over the other gardens, lakes and shallow terraces. Also known as the "garden of love", the Shalimar Mughal Gardens has four terraces, rising one above the other. The fourth terrace of the garden was, at one point of time, reserved for royal ladies. There is also a canal lined with polished stones running through the center of the Shalimar Bagh. The canal is responsible for supplying water to the garden from Harwan.
The top terrace of the Shalimar garden was reserved for the Mughal
Emperor and the royal ladies of the court. In fact, the top terrace was
the most wonderful one out of all the terraces. The terrace has a tank
with a black stone pavilion in its middle. The pavilion, which once
served as a banquet hall, is supported by fluted pillars made up of
black marble. Other attractions of the Shalimar Bagh of Kashmir include
a number of fountains, shaded trees and innumerable varieties of flowers
that blossom in spring and autumn. Last but not the least, a light and
sound show organized in the garden every evening, during the period of
May to October, is simply superb.