Minto Park that has been re-christened Madan Mohan Malaviya Park is a must visit destination in Allahabad. The park has its prominence in the chronicles of History and that is why it is a must for both researchers as well as casual visitor. Minto Park has been erected on a site near the Saraswati Ghat in Yamuna. The site has a special place in the history of British India.
This is the same place where in the year 1858, Lord Canning read out
the declaration of Queen Victoria's Proclamation. This famous
proclamation resulted in the complete transfer of power from the hands
of The East India Company to the government of Britain. The step was
taken in the wake of 1857 Sepoy Mutiny. One of the reasons behind this
mutiny was the blatant corruption that prevailed in the ranks of The
East India Company. The decision resulted in converting the status of
India from an 'Economic Interest Zone' into a 'Colony'.
52 years after the incidence, in 1910, Lord Minto laid a foundation
stone for the park. The Governor General laid this park in order to
commemorate the transfer of power. This lush-green Park has a white
memorial stone that is mounted by four ferocious looking lions. This
memorial stone has edicts confirming it as the site where the historic
proclamation was read. The park has now been christened Madan Mohan