Parliament House accommodates the two Houses of Parliament, Lok Sabha (House of the People) and Rajya Sabha (Council of States). Sir Edwin Lutyens and Sir Herbert Baker, the architects of New Delhi, designed this building. His Royal Highness, the Duke of Connaught, laid the foundation stone of Parliament House in the year 1921. It took six years to complete the Delhi Parliament House and its was inaugurated in the year 1927 by the then Governor-General of India, Lord Irwin. A circular building, it also houses ministerial offices, a number of committee rooms and a brilliant library.
The Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha meetings are held in the domed circular
central hall and the three semi-circular buildings. Sansad Bhavan of New
is adorned with an open verandah with 144 columns and a 28 m central
dome. Made up of blocks of sandstone, it has a diameter of approximately
174 m. Enclosing the Parliament House Estate is an attractive red
sandstone wall or iron grill with iron gates. It is necessary to take
prior permission before visiting the Parliament House of Delhi. Indians
need to get permission by applying at the Parliament Secretariat and
foreigners through their Embassies or High Commissions.