Being the city of temples, Jammu has numerous pilgrimage places. People of all faiths have their pilgrimage places in and around the Jammu city. If there are temples in Jammu, there are gurdwaras, dargahs and churches too. Have a look at various pilgrimage destinations in and around the Jammu city.
One of the famous Jammu pilgrim destinations is Peer Khoh. The cave of
Peer Khoh is situated on the Circular Road in Jammu. The cave shrine is
famous for a naturally made Shiva Lingam. Legend has it that the cave
has underground routes to other cave shrines of Jammu as well as of
Ranbireshwar temple, built by Maharaj Ranbir Singh in 1883, is
dedicated to Lord Shiva. The shrine houses a 7.5 ft high central Shiva
Lingam, along with twelve 15 cm high Shiva Lingams of crystal. The
galleries of the shrine are adorned with thousands of Shiva Lingams
fixed on stone slabs.
Maharaja Gulab Singh laid the foundation of Raghunath temple in 1853.
However, his son, Maharaja Ranbir Singh, got the shrine completed in
1860. The temple, dedicated to Lord Rama, is surrounded by a number of
other shrines dedicated to various Gods and Goddesses connected with the
epic Ramayana. The inner walls of the main shrine are covered with gold
sheet on three sides.
Peer Baba is one of the Muslim holy places in Jammu. However, it is
revered by Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs alike. It is the Dargah of a Muslim
Saint, Peer Budhan Ali Shah.
Ziarat Peer Mitha
Ziarat Peer Mitha is a mosque situated in the center of Jammu. It also
houses the tomb of Pir Ziarat, who was popularly known as Peer Mitha.
The ziarat came to be known by this name because he readily accepted
even a pinch of sugar in the offerings.
The Mahamaya Temple is situated on the by-pass road, behind Bahu Fort.
Surrounded by the city forest, this ancient temple overlooks the Tawi
River of Jammu.
Gurudwara Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji
The Gurudwara of Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji is one of the many Gurudwaras
in Jammu. It houses a three ft long white marble statue of Guru Nanak
Dev Ji in a separate room, said to have installed by Maharaja Partap
The Protestant church on Wazarat road is the oldest Church in the Jammu