Jai Singh got the Nahargarh Fort of Jaipur constructed in 1734. Later on, further extensions were made to it in 1868. Nahargarh literally means the abode of tigers. According to the wide spread legend, the fort is named after Nahar Singh, a prince whose spirit obstructed the construction of the fort. So, a tantrik was called and the spirit agreed to leave the place only if the fort was named after him. The Nahargarh fort sits atop a rugged ridge of the Aravalis.
The Nahargarh fort of Jaipur, Rajasthan looks the best at night, when
it is brightly lit. One of the structures worth visiting in the fort is
the Madhavendra Bhawan. It was built by Sawai Ram Singh II and has a
head suit for the king and 12 identical suits for his queens. Linking
all the rooms are that corridors, still retaining some delicate frescos,
toilets and kitchen hearths. The members of the royal family used this
bhavan as an excursion place in the summertime.
Nahargarh fort was the first fort to be built by the kings of Jaipur.
It was also used as the personal treasury once. However, much of the
fort is now lying in ruins due to sheer neglect. An exception being the
additions made by Sawai Ram Singh II and Sawai Madho Singh II in the
19th century, which are still in a good condition.