Cathedral of The Sacred Heart is situated near the Gol Post Office in New Delhi. Father Luke, from Franciscan First Order founded by St. Francis of Assisi, wanted to build a church in Delhi. So, he purchased the land near the Gol Post Office for the purpose. Henry Medd, a collaborator of Sir Edwin Lutyens and the designer of the Church of Redemption for the Anglicans, designed and constructed Sacred Heart Cathedral of Delhi. Teachings of Jesus are preached in the church throughout the year.
Two major festivities are organized at the Church of the Sacred Heart
at the time of Easter and Christmas. On Christmas Eve, the Christmas
vigil service is held at the Cathedral an hour before midnight. One of
the most significant celebrations at the Church is the 'Feast of the
Holy Family of Nazareth'. Church of the Sacred Heart receives donations
from devotees on a frequent basis. All the donations received so are
spent on buying blankets and other warm clothing for the poor pavement
Located between the two catholic convent schools of Saint Columbus and
Convent of Jesus and Mary, Sacred Heart Church sprawls over an area of
14 acres. The construction of the church began in the year 1929 and it
took approximately fours years to complete the entire construction work.
The main altar of the Cathedral of The Sacred Heart, made up of pure
marble, was received in donation from Sir Anthony de Mello. Bell,
vestments and altar furniture were received from Archbishop of Agra and
the other things from the rich British officers.