St. James Church is situated in the Kashmere Gate area of Old Delhi. Believed to be the oldest surviving Church of Delhi, it was constructed by James Skinner, the son of a Scottish father and a Rajput mother. James Skinner, a Maratha Colonel, got badly injured in a war in the early 19th century. He prayed to God and promised that if he survived, he would build a church as a commemoration of his faith in God. Fortunately he survived and as promised, he built as church, which is now known as the Delhi Saint James Church. The compound of the St. James Church still houses the grave of James Skinner, in front of the altar.
St James Church of Delhi reflects western classical design and Greek
cross plan in its architecture. On the three sides of the church are
porches that represent the three arms of the cross. On the eastern arm
is the altar and in the western direction is the entrance to the church.
The dome, in the middle segment of the church, is surmounted by a ball
and a cross. It is octagonal in shape and stands supported by circular
columns on four sides. St. James Church got badly damaged in the year
1857 and underwent renovation in 1865. The main arrangement for seating
is in the central portion of the dome.