One of the major draws of adventure tourism
in Leh Ladakh, India is trekking.
options in Ladakh are generally of two types, one consisting of short,
daylong walks and the other, long treks lasting from a few days to a few
weeks. The short ones are generally undertaken to see various monuments,
monastic settlements, etc or across a ridge to enjoy the picturesque
locales. While, the long ones are generally trans-mountain treks. Some
of the famous routes for trekking in Ladakh, India are:
- Lamayuru (in Indus Valley) to Darcha (in Lahoul) - takes nearly
- Markha Valley trek - takes nearly ten days
- Lamayuru-Padum trek - takes nearly eleven days
- Stok-Khangri round trek - takes nearly four to five days
- Parts of the Ladakh range, lying between the Indus and Shayok
Normally, the season for trekking tourism in Leh
Ladakh is from early June to mid-October. However, the short treks
within the central Indus valley can be undertaken in May also.