Ladakh monasteries belong to either the Mahayana or the Hinayana sect of Buddhism. Also known as Gompas, the monasteries in Leh Ladakh are a unique feature of the region. Infact, there are one of the major attractions of Ladakh. In the following lines, we have provided information about almost each and every Buddhist Monastery in Ladakh, India:
The Alchi Gompa is situated on the banks of the Indus and was founded thousand years back. On one of the walls of the monastery are thousands of miniature-sized Buddha pictures.
The Chemrey Gompa of Ladakh is situated at a distance of approximately 40 km to the east of the town of Leh. Founded by Lama Tagsang Raschen, this monastery dates back to the 17th century.
Diskit & Hundur Gompa
The Diskit & Hundur Gompas of Ladakh are situated in the Nubra Valley of the Ladakh region. Built by Changzem Tserab Zangpo, a disciple of Tsong-kha-pa, the Diskit Gompa dates back to the 14th century.
The Hemis Monastery at Ladakh is situated at a distance of approximately 47 km from Leh, on the west bank of the Indus River. The monastery stands concealed inside a gorge and belongs to the Dugpa Order.
The Lamayuru Monastery of Ladakh is situated at a distance of approximately 127 km to the west of Leh. The legend associated with this monastery goes that at the time of Sakyamuni (the Historical Buddha), nags (holy serpents) used to live in a Lake at the present day Lamayuru's valley.
Located at a distance of approximately 62 km to the west of Leh, the Likir Monastery dates back to the year 1065. It was during the reign of the fifth king of Ladakh, Lhachen Gyalpo, that Lama Duwang Chosje was offered land for building a monastery.
A monastery of the Saskya Order, Ladakh Matho Gompa is situated at a distance of approximately 26 km to the southeast of Leh. It is located on the opposite bank of the River Indus and was founded in the 16th century by Lama Dugpa Dorje.
Namgyal Tsemo Monastery
Overlooking the town of Leh, the Namgyal Tsemo Gompa stands perched precariously on the crag behind Leh palace. Built by King Tashi Namgyal, it dates back to the year 1430.
The Phugtal Gompa of Ladakh is situated in the Zanskar region, on the opening of a huge cave. This cave is in the mountain face of a lateral gorge through which a major tributary of the southern Lungnak River (Lingti-Tsarap) flows.
The Rangdum Gompa of Ladakh is situated near the Zanskar region. A major attraction of the area, the monastery dates back to the 18th century. The Ladakh Rangdum Gompa towers above a centrally rising hillock, entrenched around by the bifurcated course of a mountain stream.
The Rizong Gompa of Ladakh is situated at a distance of approximately 73 km from the town of Leh. Built by the great Lama Tsultim Nima, it dates back to the year 1831. Approximately 40 monks reside in the Rizong Gompa of Ladakh, which belongs to the Tsongkhapa Order.
The village of Sani is situated as a distance of approximately 6 km to the west of the Padum valley, on the road to Kargil. The major tourist attraction of Sani in Ladakh is its monastery. The castle like monastery is built on level ground, unlike any other monastery of this area.
Sankar Gompa is located to the north of the town center and belongs to the Gelukpa order. The monastery houses a striking image of the Buddhist deity Avalokiteshwara Padmahari or Chenresig, with thousand arms and heads.
King Deldon Namgyal got the two-story Shey Gompa constructed in the year 1655, in the memory of his father. One of the highlights of the monastery is a two-story high image of the seated Buddha.
The Spituk Monastery of Ladakh is situated at a distance of approximately 8 km from the town of Leh. Towering over a conical, the 3-chapel monastery dates back to the 11th century, when it was founded century by Od-de, the elder brother of Lha Lama Changchub Od.
Founded by Lama Lhawang Lotus, the Stok Gompa of Ladakh dates back to the 14th century. It is a subsidiary of the Spituk Gompa and belongs to the yellow-hat sect of Buddhism. The entrance verandah of the monastery is adorned with colorful murals of the Guardians of the Four Directions.
The Stongdey Monastery of Ladakh is situated at a distance of approximately 18 km to the north of Padum, on the road to Zangla. Lama Lhodak Marpa Choski Lodos founded this monastery in the year 1052.