Located at a distance of approximately 62 km to the west of Leh, the Likir Monastery dates back to the year 1065. It was during the reign of the fifth king of Ladakh, Lhachen Gyalpo, that Lama Duwang Chosje was offered land for building a monastery. A great champion of meditation, the Lama blessed the site and the monastery was built. The name Likir means "The Naga - Encircled". The Likir Gompa at Ladakh was so named, as it stands encircled by the bodies of the two great serpent spirits, the Naga-rajas, Nanda and Taksako.
The 15th century saw the Likkir Monastery of Leh Ladakh flourishing
under Lhawang Lodos Sangphu, the disciple of Khasdubje. It was then
brought under the Tsongkhapa order and continues to be so till date.
Even today, the ritual and observances of the three basic Pratimoksa
disciplines, the basic Buddhist teachings, stand preserved here. The
Likir Monastery of Ladakh constitutes of a number of sacred shrines,
along with a protective deity that stands wearing a golden armor.
An annual event of the monastery is the assembly of votive offerings,
known as Dosmochey, which takes place in the 12th Tibetan month from
27th to 29th. The sacred dances are also performed at this time, at the
monastery. The succeeding reincarnations of Naris Rinpoche serve as the
incumbents of the monastery.