Located in the Canacona taluka of South Goa, the Cabo da Rama fort presents a desolate spectacle of crumbling ruins. Also known as Cape Rama fort, this ancient bastion is steeped in mythological legends. The fort derives its name from Rama, the protagonist of the epic Ramayana, who, accompanied by his wife Sita took refuge here during his exile from Ayodhya.
Unlike many other forts in the state, the Cabo da Rama fort predates
the Portuguese invasion of Goa. Possession of the fort changed hands
many a time as dynasties fell and rose during the ages. In 1763 the
Portuguese claimed the Cabo de Rama fort after defeating the Raja of
Soonda and renovated it subsequently. The present ramshackle structure
with turrets and rusty cannons is a remnant of the Portuguese.
Apart from scattered ruins here and there, the Cabo da Rama fort does
not hold any attractions. Within its ramparts, the moated fort houses
the church of Santo Antonio which is in excellent condition and is still
in use. The western side of the fortress, where the cliffs drop sharply
to the sea, provides a panoramic view of the surrounding areas.
How to Reach Cabo Da Rama Fort
A long winding road branches off towards the fort from the National
Highway-17 going to Karwar. You will have to arrange for autos or taxis
to reach the Cabo da Rama fort.