One of the ancient Hindu temples in Goa, the Naguesh temple is dedicated to Lord Naguesh, an incarnation of Lord Shiva. Courtesy a stone plaque found near the temple, the origins of Sri Naguesh temple can be traced back to 1413, when the region was under the rule of Veer Pratap Devraya of the powerful Vijayanagar Empire.
Unlike most of the Hindu temples in Goa, the Naguesh Temple was spared
the threat of persecution by the Portuguese and the temple has been in
existence in its original location for centuries. The present structure
of temple is the culmination of an extensive renovation process
undertaken in 1880. The temple Sabhamandap has a gallery on both sides
that contains intricate wood carvings depicting the events of Ramayana
on one side and wooden images of Astadikpal and Gandharva on the other.
Located within the temple precincts is a magnificent tali or water
reservoir surrounded by palms. The reservoir is built in such a way that
standing at a certain location around the tali, a person can view the
reflection of the idol of Lord Naguesh and the lighted lamps in the
How to Reach Naguesh Temple
The Naguesh temple is located 4 km east of Ponda, off the NH 4A
connecting Ponda to Panaji.