- Always stay at a safe distance from people like tourist guides, taxi drivers, bus conductors, etc. Do not be rude with them, but don't be too friendly either.
- Never ever venture alone at night, especially if you are a female. It is always advisable to stay with your group wherever you go.
- Always keep the emergency number of the place you are visiting handy. It is better to be safe than sorry.
- When moving in a public vehicle, it is better to avoid eating anything offered by strangers.
- While roaming around in a city, keep all the valuables in the safety vault at your hotel room. At the same time, do not carry too much cash also.
- Always keep loose change with you at all times. Never ever take out too much money in a busy street.
- Try to stay away from public displays of affection.
- Always make use of the services of an authorized tourist guide, the one who is registered with the government.
- Wear decent clothes, especially when visiting places like temples, gurdwaras, shrines, etc.
- Stick to bottled water for drinking purposes. The water sold in glasses, at the roadside vends, is not pure.
- Try to avoid eating anything from the roadside vends and too small restaurants. You might end up getting a stomach infection.
- Whenever you eat outside, try to avoid having salad and cut fruits. Cooked and fried food is what works the best.
- If you are coming in summers, always keep a bottle of water handy. At the same time, make sure to apply sunscreen and wear sunglasses and hats/caps, when under the naked sun.