Flora Fountain was built in the year 1864, to commemorate the memory of those martyrs who laid their life in the formation of Maharashtra State. Owing to the purpose for which it had been built, the fountain was later renamed as the Hutatma Chowk or Martyr's Square. It is situated in one of the most congested areas of the Mumbai city. Surrounded by huge and impressive colonial buildings on all the sides, Flora Fountain has a magnificent statue of Flora - the Roman Goddess of Flowers, on top.
Further adorning the fountain are two stone patriots bearing a touch.
Located in the Fort 'business' district of South Bombay, it is now
counted amongst the heritage structures of the city. The cost of
constructing Flora Fountain, in those times, came to somewhere around
47,000 rupees or 9000 pounds sterling. The construction of the fountain
was started at the behest of the Agri-Horticultural society of Western
India. The funds for the same came from the donation received by the
society from Cursetjee Fardoonjee Parekh.
The credit for the designing of the Flora Fountain goes to R. Norman
Shaw, while the accolades for the sculptural beauty go to James
Forsythe. Portland stone was especially imported for the construction of
the fountain. The initial name of the fountain was not 'Flora Fountain'.
Infact, it was named after Sir Bartle Frère, the then Governor of
Bombay. The name 'Flora Fountain' was given just before the inauguration
of the fountain. The area around the square comprises of all the major
banks, along with the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).