The Kanpur Memorial Church that is named All Soul's Cathedral was actually built in 1875, in honor of the British who lost their lives in the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857. The church is now popularly referred as the Kanpur Church. Walter Granville, architect of the east Bengal Railway, designed the Church. The Church has been erected in Lombardy gothic style. Furthermore, it has been handsomely executed in bright red brick, with polychrome dressings. The interior contains monuments to the mutiny, including several memorial tablets. The memoirs related to this church are truly heart wrenching.
It happened so that the mutineers from the Kanpur Barrack laid siege to
the barrack residential quarter that housed European officers and their
family. The whole plan was masterminded by non other than Nana Sahib who
was, till mutiny broke, a trusted ally of British. The siege was
resisted by handful of officers who were low on arsenals but high on
valor. In fact, their Enfield riffles were no match to the canon balls
pounded by the British 6-pounders and 8-pounders used by the mutineers.
Nevertheless, against all odds, British officers were largely successful
in saving the life of innocent womenfolk and children who got stuck
there. But all came to end when Nana Sahib came to his cunning self. He
faked a siege fire and entered the fort somehow. The result was one of
the deadliest massacres in the modern Indian history. Nana ordered every
white-skin to be chopped in order to frighten and slug the steps of the
reinforcement that was on the way to fight them. The order led to gang
rapes and mutilation of women and children. The incident has been well
chronicled in history and particularly in the novel "Cawnpore"
that was based on the incident. Nana Sahib was notoriously bestowed with
the title of " The Butcher of Cawnpore".
In the east of the Church is a separate enclosure. It houses the
memorial garden that can be approached through two gateways. This is
separated from the main building through a handsome carved gothic screen
that has been designed by one Henry Yule. Its center is occupied by the
beautiful carved figure of an angle by Baron Carlo Marochetti, with
crossed arms, holding pylons, symbol of peace. The Military Cemetery on
the edge of the cantonment contains a number of graves with interesting
epitaphs from the late 19th century. Within the city the king Edward VII
memorial hall is noteworthy and so is The Christ Church building, built